WSDC Swing Competition divisions available:
- Jack & Jill Swing: Novice (includes Newcomers), Intermediate, Advanced & All-Star’s, Sophisticated and Masters. Registration fee is $16.00. Register
- Pro-Am Jack & Jill: Available for both Leaders and Followers. Registration fee is $25.00. Register
- Pro-Am Strictly: Novice (includes Newcomers), Intermediate, Advanced, Masters. Registration fee is $30.00. Register
- Open Strictly Smoothies. Registration Fee $30.00 (before June 30th); $40.00 at the door. Register
Shag Competition divisions available:
- Shag Non-Pro. Registration fee is $30.00. Register
- Shag Pro. Registration fee is $30.00. Register
- Shag Pro-Am Strictly. Registration fee is $30.00. Register
- Ft Lauderdale Swing and Shag Beach Bash is open to all eligible contestants. All contestants must have a weekend pass excluding juniors. Weekend passes must be included or have verification of purchase with your entry form. Junior’s day pass is sponsored by FLSSBB.
- Jack & Jill categories will consist of one leader & one follower.
- AGE Requirement: Competitors must be at least 18-years old to compete. Competitors must be at least 50 years or older to compete in the Masters category.
- Qualification for Junior Dancers: This division is for Competitors 17 years of age or younger. You may be required to provide proof of age at time of registration.
- Dancers may not compete at different levels of competition over the weekend but may additionally compete in the Masters category which is an age category not a level category.
- Costumes not permitted but off the rack matching clothes are acceptable. We encourage proper attire, IE. No torn jeans, no shorts, no strap t-shirts. Dress to impress!
- This is a Swing Dance Competition and recognized swing styles may include, Whip, Push, West Coast Swing, Shag, etc.
- Music Time Limitations: Each song will be a minimum of one and one-half minutes. The number of songs used in each round will be at the discretion of the head judge.
- Qualification for Novice Dancers: You must have never danced in a Pro, Invitational, Intermediate, Open or higher Class category, or as a Pro in a Pro-Am, in any style of dance. This division is Not Open to all levels.
- Qualification for Intermediate Dancers: You must have never danced in a Pro, Invitational, Open or higher Class category, or as a Pro in a Pro-Am, in any style of dance. This division is Not Open to all levels.
- *FLSBB reserves the right to combine Novice and Intermediate if it deems one of the categories too small.
- For All Star/Advanced Dancers: This category is open to those who do not qualify for Novice or Intermediate.
- Drops and leveraged moves are allowed as long as both contestants maintain at least one foot on the ground. Short separations/break-aways are allowed. Lifts are not.
- Strictly Smoothies Division: Smoothies is a Swing Or Shag song with a tempo ranging from 90 to 115 bpm having a smooth or soothing sound.
Swing/Shag Dancing that encourages lead and follow partner dancing at its best. Although swing includes amalgamations and Shag foot patterns that are familiar to many dancers, the essence of lead and follow must be maintained in and out of these patterns. Strictly Smoothies division is not meant for long and extended pre-choreographed phrases. Choreography “on the fly” is the objective. Drops, leans, circular movements and other partner weight support moves are allowed as long as both partners keep at least one foot on the floor.
- Competitors will be one Male Leader and one Female Follower.
- The maximum number of entries in each division is at the event’s discretion. There is no minimum Number of entries.
- Guidelines for expected Swing/Shag content are 90% in Strictly Swing/Shag. It is at the judge’s discretion to determine that the swing/shag content requirement has been met.
- An individual is not permitted to dance with more than one partner within the division.
- Contestants must be least eighteen (18) years or older by the end of the event to participate.
- Length of performance is at the promoter’s discretion.
- Costumes are not allowed. However, matching or complementary outfits suitable for social dancing are acceptable.
- This division will be danced in heats for preliminaries and semi-finals (if needed) and spotlight for finals.
- Couples must maintain physical contact except for spins, turns, short break-a-ways, and recoveries.
- Pre-choreographed routines are not allowed.
- Dancers must maintain their own physical contact with the floor during partner weight support moves (at least one foot on ground).
It is the Organizer’s goal to encourage all competitors to assign themselves to a fair and appropriate classification using the honor system.
All competitors are required to purchase a weekend ticket And must be included or have verification of purchase with your entry form. Competitors should report to the ballroom at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the contest.